FAREWELL, PAUL NEWMAN

I didn't know Paul Newman personally, nor his wife, Joanne Woodward, with whom he had one of Hollywood's rare long-term marriages. Still, even without knowing them up close and personal, as an expert in body language, I knew that Newman and Woodward were one of those wonderful anomalies: two people who were together for many years and were clearly in-love. (When asked once if he ever thought about straying, Paul once said: "I have steak at home, why go out for hamburger?" Now that's Eros talking!)
It's a thing of beauty to see two people sustaining Eros over the course of time. And likewise, it's a travesty to see so many people staying together year after year who are not in-love, and thinking they deserve some kind of positive recognition for that, when in fact, they are often doing damage to themselves, their kids, and in too many cases, the world at large.
Not coincidentally, there was a piece today on the Obamas' marriage, definitely worth reading at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathlyn-and-gay-hendricks/the-obama-relationship-a_b_128896.html
The article was written by Kathlyn and Gay Hendricks, authors of numerous books, including "Conscious Loving," and it is about how having a President and First Lady who are actually in love will have many benefits for our country. I agree. (See my post entitled, "A Vote For Eros" from last January.)
Anyway, since I so often find myself assaulting the "family values" crowd who believe in hunkering down and sticking things out now matter how dysfunctional, I thought I'd pass on this positive story.
Happy trails, Paul!

No comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online