FUTILITY VEHICLE

Going to buy a car today. Yep. Can't get a Prius, though I'd love to. There's a 2-month wait for one AND a $2,500 add-on to the price over the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price), the price you usually negotiate DOWN from. I guess most people who buy cars and houses in a panic really don't do the numbers. I figure it would take all of seven years for me just to break even on the gas money I would save by buying the hybrid Prius versus buying another Toyota for $5,000 less and getting substantially less gas mileage.

Ain't that America? (And Japan, I guess, too.)

Anyway, there's a relevant article in the NY Times by Judith Warner, called, "FUTILITY VEHICLE." Check it out at: http://warner.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/futility-vehicle/index.html?ref=opinion

No comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online