GREAT GRAPHIC ON "HELICOPTER PARENTING" BY AN FPL READER!


An FPL reader, Allison Morris, contacted me to share a very relevant (and cool) graphic she helped create about the issues that arise when parents are over-involved in their offspring's lives, in this case with a focus on career. Allison read some of the FPL posts on the "Attachment Parenting" debate, and correctly thought I'd be interested in her statistics and take on the subject. Indeed, I am most appreciative, Allison, and you illustrate very cleverly how today's 20-somethings are actually falling behind previous generations in key areas of life as a result of what I (less tactfully than you, for sure) refer to as the narcissistic, vicarious acting out of parents through their children in a vain attempt to undo their own childhood injuries. 
The only words in your presentation I might split hairs about and take issue with are these: "Being friends with your parents is great..."
In my many years of practicing therapy, the most difficult cases are the ones in which a patients starts out the sharing of their history in a first session by saying that one or both of their parents were their "best friend." Whenever I hear that, now, I know it's going to be a long haul.
Thanks so much, Allison!
PL
Here's Allison's note to me, and her graphic below:


Hi Peter,
 
I’m reaching out to connect with you about a graphic I helped create which provides stats on how parents’ actions can impact students today and how the effects of “helicopter parenting” can be seen in college and even in the workplace.I came across this post on your site: http://fullpermissionliving.blogspot.com/2012/03/thoughtful-exchange-for-change-on.html – and given that you might have an interest.

Please Include Attribution to OnlineCollege.org With This Graphic Hovering Parents in the Workplace Infographic

No comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online