MORE on "UNDECIDED" versus "UNFORGIVEN"

Here's two more responses to my post questioning the motives of the so-called "Undecideds" in this election between two starkly different candidates, plus a "follow-up" from the NY tImes.

One response is a comeback from "LOFF56":

"Well...
You can defend your post with semantics as much as you want, but it doesn't change my mind that it was tasteless in it's attempt to demonize people who disagree with you.
This coming from someone that agrees with you!!! (Or rather your position on the candidates specifically.)
I of course believe in a woman's right to choose, but I also believe that the opposing viewpoint has a valid moral argument that holds water. If, for example, the abortion issue is an incredible deal-breaker issue to a given voter, and if that voter is also absolutely repulsed by every other aspect of the republican ticket, that voter is completely justified in being 'undecided' as far as I'm concerned.
So... Joe-the-undecided, I forgive you."

Another is from "Bonni":

"Interestingly, just a day or two ago I was pondering the difference between 'judgement' and 'assessment' (or, as I tend to think of it, observation). I've known for years that there is definitely a difference, but, being human, I still sometimes fall into a judgmental attitude as opposed to just making the observation or assessment.
I love your definition. 'Judgement comes from a place of fear, prejudice, ignorance and/or hostility.' If I look for those things in myself in relation to my assessment (or judgment, as it were), I'll know I'm on the wrong track and can take steps to fix it.
So, thank you for that. I know that wasn't necessarily the purpose of your post, but I got something extremely valuable from it."

Thank you, LOFF56, and you're welcome, Bonni.

Finally, just to validate that I'm not the only one questioning the motives of these "Joe the Undecided" characters, here's an excerpt from this morning's NY Times, entitled: "The Undecided: Sheepish, Proud or Set to Flip Coin":

"Senators Barack Obama and John McCain have stood (or sat) for 36 debates, endured thousands of interviews, and spent hundreds of millions of dollars on advertisements and the better part of two years trying to convince voters that they are worthy of the presidency, or at least a vote. But with only days left until Election Day, a small cluster of holdouts — 4 percent, according to a New York Times/CBS News poll — are still wrestling with the 'Who are you voting for?' question.
Which raises a follow-up: 'What is up with these people?"

Exactly.

No comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online