TODAY'S LOL HEADLINE (BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE LYING LIARS): "GOP DECLARES JACKIE ROBINSON A REPUBLICAN!!!

Jackie, the first African-American to play "official" major league baseball, once supported his friend, the very moderate Republican, Nelson Rockefeller against the very right wing Barry Goldwater. So, this week, the Republican Party tried to co-opt Jackie for their own PR purposes. But you know, when you're a lying liar, the Truth is always problematic.

Here's Jackie in his own words:

"Every chance I got, while I was campaigning, I said plainly what I thought of the right-wing Republicans and the harm they were doing. I felt the GOP was a minority party in term of numbers of registered voters and could not win unless they updated their social philosophy and sponsored candidates and principles to attract the young, the black, and the independent voter. I said this often from public, and frequently Republican, platforms. By and large Republicans had ignored blacks and sometimes handpicked a few servile leaders in the black community to be their token 'niggers.' How would I sound trying to go all out to sell Republicans to black people? They're not buying. They know better. Early in 1964 I wrote a Speaking Out piece for The Saturday Evening Post. A Barry Goldwater victory would insure that the GOP would be completely the white man's party. What happened at San Francisco when Senator Goldwater became the Republican standard-bearer confirmed my prediction. I wasn't altogether caught of guard by the victory of the reactionary forces in the Republican party, but I was appalled by the tactics they used to stifle their liberal opposition. That [1964] convention was one of the most unforgettable and frightening experiences of my life. The hatred I saw was unique to me because it was hatred directed against a white man [Rockefeller]. It embodied a revulsion for all he stood for, including his enlightened attitude toward black people."

Oops! Caught lying again!


Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/13/rnc-jackie-robinson-was-a_n_318618.html

No comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online